The Project/Il progetto
VIRTUAL VIDEO GAMES
Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca
I designed and coordinated Virtual Video Games between 2017 and 2020. The project – sponsored by MSI Italy, which made the necessary equipment available – was concerned with the study of the virtual reality gaming experience and the difference between it and traditional non-immersive modalities, in order to provide useful data for the design and optimization of video games of this type. The aim of the project was also to investigate the use of commercial virtual reality video games as innovative tools for the assessment and training of emotional and cognitive processes.
Ho ideato e coordinato Virtual Video Games fra il 2017 e il 2020. Il progetto – sponsorizzato da MSI Italy, che ha reso disponibile l’attrezzatura necessaria – ha riguardato lo studio dell’esperienza di gioco in realtà virtuale e la differenza tra questa e modaltà non-immersive tradizionali, al fine di fornire dati utili per il design e l’ottimizzazione di videogiochi di questa tipologia. Scopo del progetto è stato inoltre indagare l’utilizzo di videogiochi commerciali in realtà virtuale come strumenti innovativi per la valutazione e il training di processi emotivi e cognitivi.
The project carried out eight experimental researches, testing over two hundred people. The results of the research conducted have been published in prestigious international scientific journals, including JMIR Serious Games, JMIR Mental Health, Frontiers in Psychology e Simulation and Gaming.
Main Roles/Ruoli principali
- Research designer and project manager
- Design and execution of studies to explore the differences in terms of players’ experience that exist between virtual reality video games and traditional ones (i.e., not immersive, such as the ones that can be played on desktop display)
- Research designer and project manager
- Design ed esecuzione degli studi costruiti per esplorare le differenze in termini di player experience fra un gioco in realtà virtuale e uno tradizionale (non immersivi, come quelli giocatori sul display del PC)
- Pallavicini F., Pepe A. (2020) Virtual Reality Games to Enhance Positive Emotions and Decrease Anxiety: A Pilot Study on the Role of Body Involvement. JMIR Serious Games, 8(2):e15635. Download PDF.
- Pallavicini, F., Pepe, A. Minissi, M.E (2019) Gaming in Virtual Reality: What Changes in Terms of Usability, Emotional Response and Sense of Presence Compared to Non-Immersive Video Games? Simulation & Gaming. Download PDF
- Pallavicini F., Pepe A., Minissi M.E. (2019) Taking Neuropsychological Test to the Next Level: Commercial Virtual Reality Video Games for the Assessment of Executive Functions. In: Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction, Lecture Notes in Computer Science vol. 11573, Springer: pp. 133-149. Download PDF.
- Pallavicini, F., Ferrari, A. and Mantovani, F. 2018. Video Games for Well-Being: A Systematic Review on the Application of Computer Games for Cognitive and Emotional Training in the Adult Population. Frontiers in Psychology, 9: 2127. Dowload PDF
- Pallavicini, F., Ferrari, A., Garcea, G., Zanacchi, A., & Mantovani, F. (2018). Effectiveness of virtual reality survival horror games for the emotional elicitation: Preliminary insights using Resident Evil 7: Biohazard. In M. Antona & C. Stephanidis (Eds.), Universal access in human-computer Interaction. Virtual, augmented, and intelligent environments: 12th international conference, UAHCI 2018, held as part of HCI International 2018. Cham, Switzerland: Springer. Dowload PDF
- Pallavicini F, Ferrari A, Barone G, Zini A, Garcea G, Zanacchi A, Mantovani F: What distinguishes a traditional gaming experience from one in virtual reality? An exploratory study. In T. Ahram & C. Falcão (Eds.), Advances in Human Factors in Wearable Technologies and Game Design: Proceedings of the AHFE 2017 International Conference on Advances in Human Factors and Wearable Technologies (pp. 225-231). Cham, Switzerland: Springer. Download PDF
Conference and events/Conferenze ed eventi
- Milan Games Week 2019
- Human Computer Interaction International 2019
(HCII 2019, 26-31 July 2018, Orlando, US)
- Milan Games Week 2018
- Notte dei Ricercatori 2018
- Human Computer Interaction International 2018
(HCII 2018, 16-19 July 2018, Las Vegas, US)
- Milan Games Week 2017
- Notte dei Ricercatori 2017
- Advances in Human Factors in Wearable Technologies and Game Design (AHFE 2017, Los Angeles, US)